Saturday, April 5, 2008

What city should I write on the letters if I leave in Queens?|124642

I leave in Queens, New York, so do I need to write Queens as the city where I leave or I can say and write that I leave in new york, so my postal address will be New York, New York? Will i get my mail if i write New York, New York? Queens is one of the boroughs of New York, even if i leave in Queens technically its still NYC, right?

  • Queens addresses always include the neighborhood of their post office is located in.

    So you would write

    Rego Park, NY

    not

    Queens, NY

    or

    NY, NY

    That last one (NY, NY) is reserved for Manhattan.

    This has to do with how the post office is organized and not the fact that this is all NYC. Of course, it IS, but these rules go back to before NYC was a unified city in the 19th century. Back then, NYC was just Manhattan, Staten Island, and parts of the Bronx. Brooklyn was an independent city of its own, and Queens was a collection of small towns.

    Now, even though we are all part of the same big City, too many addresses would be the same if we all wrote NY, NY on our envelopes. For example, the address I live at in Brooklyn is the exact same address as a building in Manhattan. If I wrote NY, NY on my envelope it would look like it was the building in Manhattan instead of my building in Brooklyn.

    So you need to find out what post office this is going to and use that name in your address.

  • do not write new york, ny ( as that_s for manhattan), and don_t write queens, ny. I_ve lived in Queens my entire life and there is NO ONE who writes their address as that. We write the neighborhood we live in. So if you live in Astoria, you write: Astoria, NY; Flushing= Flushing, NY, etc.
    I mean, you_ll probably get your address, so long as the postcode is correct. People sometimes write the neighborhood next to mine and I still get it. But I_ve never had anything say NY, NY come to me, nor have I ever had anything say Queens, NY.

  • Eugene, Queens is very tricky when it comes to witting a letter. Due to the size of the borough, the post office recommends you include the name of the neighborhood you_re residing in. For example:

    John Doe
    12-34 Main Street
    Long Island City, NY 11101

    I hope this information is very helpful.

    Good luck

  • You should put Queens, NY (instead of New York, NY) or even better, the actual city and zip code like below.

    Jamercan Steve
    C/O Club Tobago?
    147-02 Liberty Avenue
    Queens, NY 11435

    or

    Jamercan Steve
    C/O Club Tobago?
    147-02 Liberty Avenue
    Jamaica, NY 11435

  • All of the above answers are correct, of course, but the bottom line (literally) is that if the zip code is present and correct (especially if you use the zip+4), your letter will get to where it_s going just fine.

    Good luck, and the link below is to the official page where you can look up zip+4 zip codes...

  • Yes, you live in a borough of New York, so on the letter it shows:
    NY. Queens by postal standard.
    NY is because it is both City and state names, and makes the postal service_ work and your time well saved, rational

  • Having lived there for a while I would say yes. A mailing address of NY, NY should be fine, however, I have always erred on the side of caution and I would always put Brooklyn, NY when I lived there.

  • do you know your zip code? if you do, then use this US Postal Service web page:
    http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.j��
    and enter it there, and one result will give you the _Actual City name in [zip]_, and use it!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS