Thursday, June 24, 2010

What kind of job could I get in Boston for six weeks in summer?|175143

I_m from Ireland and am going to Boston at the start of July until late August, I have a batchelors degree in English and History. I don_t have any waitressing or bartending experience, but I have worked as a shop assistant for four years. Please help because I_m drawing blanks here!

  • Since you mention working in a shop, sounds like that would make the most sense to start with. I_d look into places like Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, maybe Harvard Sq, and other high tourist areas as they get very busy in the summer and will definately be looking for help. A huge advantage you will have is that most of their staffing comes from the college student population, most of whom leave for the summer.

    While I agree that Craig_s list is a wonderful resource, I might recommend it more if you are looking for a sublet to live in (a GREAT summer option as you get a lot more for your dollar that way). You might luck out and find a job on there, but many of these places don_t actively advertise until they have an opening. I_m assuming you_d like to set something up before you arrive if possible. I_d suggest checking out different shopping areas and store chains and contacting them directly with a strong intro letter and a resume if you have it. And I know there are a few stores in the area that specialize in Irish goods. I would Google for those and contact them. I am sure they would LOVE someone with the sound there....good for their business and good for you!

    My biggest concern is your time here is pretty limited. That might be a problem, but hopefully you will find the perfect job. In the worst case scenario you could always register with the temp agencies and hope for availablity. But I would put that at the bottom of the list, since I personally am not a fan of temping, given how unsure it is, and how half of what you make goes to the employer!

    Hope in addition to working you_ll have time to play and explore around here, as the area is awesome in the summer! Best of luck!

  • a Camp Counsellor with the boys and girls Club summer program .Its usually only a 6-8 weeks program any ways also the YMCA Has a summer program that hirer_s Camp counsellors No These are Not Overnight camps.You would still Have your nights and weekends completely free.
    Or If you Do want to be an Overnight camp counsellor for the summer here you go

    http://www.acampjob4u.org/wanttoworkatca��

    Good luck

  • I think the best way to see what jobs are available is by going to craigslist. There are always new jobs being posted on the site everyday. Perhaps you will find one that suits you.

  • You could try lifeguarding if you are CPR certified and can swim, A lot of libraries do summer camps.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS