Friday, January 1, 2010

What is the last date you can walk down into the canyon?|133845

I need info on hiking down into the canyon; how long it will take, how wide the trails are,can you stay overnite in hotel,average time in and out of canyon, how many miles down, are there guilded tours to hike in and out of canyon and what is the last date you can hike in and out of canyon.

  • Although I personally disagree with the policy , there is no _last date _ you can or cannot hike the Canyon
    Be aware of the fact that there is always a 30 degree temp difference between rim and river
    I have come out of the Canyon literally up to my azz in snow after starting the day on the River wearing shorts and a t shirt.
    Current Grand Canyon weather S.Rim
    Hi 32
    Low 9
    Do the math : 80 degrees on the Rim= Hell in the Inner Canyon
    I_m not going to answer all of your Q_s in detail
    because it would take too long and I type at glacial speed
    From a hikers perspective there are two really unique things about the Canyon
    1) Unlike mountains where you do your hardest work going uphill when you_re well rested . If you do a long day hike in the Canyon , you will be working the hardest when you_re the most tired
    The rule of thumb is allow twice the time for the up hill as you did for the downhill and with a pack on that could easily become 2.5 or even 3x.
    2) Assuming that you don_t have the gear to cya ,safety in the Canyon is often above you and for me that was completely counter -intuitive even though I did have the gear.
    I_m gonna finish this later because it_s gonna take a while
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS