Saturday, September 12, 2009

What do I need to know before moving to Denver?|100554

So I_m a 32 year old guy (who lives and acts like he_s 25) who is moving from Phoenix to Denver sometime within the next 3 or 4 months. I_ve never been there before but my best friend lives there and another best friend is going to be moving out there in the spring to live with me. I spent 5 years living in Flagstaff so I know what it_s like to live in at least a little snow. Other than that, I_ve never lived outside of Phoenix.

That said, I_m curious what your advice would be on what kind of culture shock I might experience, what I should watch for, what I should avoid, etc. I do plan on flying out there in a month or so in order to check out the different areas and get a feel for where I want to live.

As far as my lifestyle ... I_m a professional working in the behavioral health field, I love getting out to random bars to check out random bands and I_m usually down for new things at least once.

  • Probably the biggest difference is that Denver has a proper downtown. Like Phoenix, there are a number of outlying communities, so it_s easy to find an area where you_re comfortable with the population density.

    Commute traffic into Denver is maybe a little worse than Phoenix - but nothing like L.A. And there_s been a recent surge of NY style high-rise apartment-home construction in downtown Denver.

    Weather-wise, not a lot different from Flagstaff, except that Denver is more exposed and gets the occasional arctic blizzard that shuts everything down for a day or two.

    Hopefully you_re an outdoor-activities person. On a warm weekend, *everyone_s* outside, whether it_s cycling, hiking, climbing, kayaking - kind of like Flagstaff :)

  • You sound like you_ll fit it in just fine with all the hippies and liberals. Better yet, just move to Boulder.

  • This will be your kind of town. Denver residents, and most Coloradans, are outgoing and physical people. There are so many things to do, and places to visit. Just like Arizona, you_ll be able to get away from everyone easy enough, also. Take advantage of the state, and get out of town and explore a little. You_ll also be surprised just how much sunshine there is in Colorado. It_s tops for sunny days, all year long. Don_t forget all the sports teams, it_s a definite must in Denver.

  • The weather changes every 15 minutes.

  • a little snow is alot differant in Denver.... Be prepared!

  • Denver has a nicer downtown than phoenix.
    Denver has much more culture than phoenix - Theatre opera etc.
    Denver is greener.
    Denver is more expensive.
    Phoenix has NICE winters... We get blizzards and days when temps hit -5.
    Denver has a great area filled with bars, night clubs, trendy apartments etc. Great for a young person - better than phoenix_s.
    We have tolerable summers!
    Sometimes it will rain for a few days in a row... Are you familiar with the word rain in arizona?
    Denver has bad traffic.

    I would reccomend moving to either washington park, cherry creek or Aurora if you are a young trendy person.

  • The Denver Metro area is diverse and vast. Much more in the metro area then Flagstaff. If you complain about the weather, wait 5 minutes and think of something else to complain about, it is realitivaly mild. Water is a concern in many parts of Colorado including Denver and there are often watering restrictions. Not known as a music meca, but there are plenty of great venues and concerts. I also work in the feild of behavioral management and modification as a private consultant and caregiver, and there seems to be plenty of work if you look around in that field. I_m origionally from the Tetons and it_s nice to be close to the mountains. Traffic can be a pain during rush hour. I would venture to guess you can find any kind of community you want.

  • make sure to have comprehensive coverage on your car they have some killer hails storms. Also insurance is expensive compared to other states
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS