Tuesday, September 15, 2009

How is it living in University City Saint Louis?|192391

Thinking about renting a place there for about a year, just wondering what it is like? How about the school district? (elementary and high school) I have 2 children. Anyone who lives there or knows about it please let me know.

  • I currently live in University City and have lived there my whole life. I am now 22 years old. U. City is a great place to live in terms of what you are near culturally. The Loop offers unique stores, restaurants, and musical exposure that are unrivaled in many places in St. Louis. Clayton is a 5 minute drive away that offers great culture and class. They have endless options for fine dining that suit children, the 20-somethings, and an older audience. Clayton can easily be considered the class of St. Louis in terms of the small town vibe that you get from it. Forest Park is also a very short drive away which is a great selling point for a parent with kids. Nothing beats running in Forest Park, or bringing kids to its many fields and park options for entertainment. In the winter, Steinberg skating rink is a short drive away in Forest Park. In the summer, the Muny, Fox, Art and History museums provide more than enough entertainment. U. City is also about 20 minutes from downtown, Chesterfield, North and South Counties.

    I attended Our Lady of Lourdes right next to Washington University off Big Bend. It was a great school for students K-8. Christ the King is on the other side of Delmar and is a cheaper, fairly suitable option. These are private schools. The public schools available are probably U.City and Clayton schools. These aren_t as high quality to be honest, but would be suitable given that they are free. U.City High used to be a top notch school. It was at one time about 30 years ago ranked #1 for public high schools in the country. Currently though, I would say not to trust it as it has dropped off a very significant amount. As the poster said before, for Elementary, Our Lady of Lourdes is a safe, quality bet. In terms of High schools, I would rely on private institutes like SLUH (Saint Louis University High). This is where I attended, and is seen as one of the top 25 best best high schools in the country. It is also only about 5 minutes away. Nerinx Hall is about a 10 minute away option for females that is just down Big Bend. All around, it isn_t the safest neighborhood all together, but if you keep your kids under the regular amount of supervision (as all parents should), they will surely love the experience and cultural opportunities that U. City offers. I have heard countless compliments on the neighborhood due to the unique design of each house and apartment building in U.City and the old-time feel many of them have. The biggest compliment though from every visitor is on the amount of trees in U. City. There are trees everywhere. They_re extremely large and cover much of U. City like a canopy. You really can_t beat the beauty of this area in all seasons. Hope this helped. Safe moving, and hope you enjoy your experience no matter where you stay!

  • I have lived in Ucity going on 3 years now. It_s a pretty nice place. It defientely has it_s rough areas....Olive Blvd to me is the dividing line. North of Olive, I would steer clear of. South of Olive and Delmar Blvd, you are fine...but it_s a little more pricey. I_m right in between the two, have had no problems. Very diverse area, lots of activities. I don_t have great things to say about the school district however....I would seriously consider a private school if you have young ones. But I have no kids, so I could be wrong.

  • I haven_t lived there but I have looked for rent there myself. It_s a very nice and quite area but that does depend on what part you are looking at. There are of course rougher parts of u-city as well. Yet the better parts are nice, they are not cheap! That_s why I didn_t move there( It_s still a further thought)- so if you can afford the better area go for it but don_t just take anyones word on it, go look around yourself and research the areas as well as the schools.-good luck!

  • There are different areas of U City, so you have to be careful on what section you are looking at in regard to the schools and sections of the areas. I would talk to a Real Estate Agent in regard to some of this.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS