Friday, November 19, 2010

What are some social norms I should be aware of when traveling to Alabama?|144603

I am going on a service trip to Montgomery and we want to make sure we are respectful to the culture (we are from far north). My friend from the south says to make sure we say sir and maam (almost nonexistent in the north). Any other tips?

  • Well I_m from Troy, AL just 30 mins south of Montgomery. Alabama is pretty much the same as every other state, the only difference people go out their way to talk to you. Don_t worry about it. Just be yourself and everything will be all good.

  • Yes, minding your manners is a biggie. People here are laid back and willing to help.

  • My friends tell me that attending church is part of _normal_ behavoir in AL, even if you are not sure what you believe. In rural parts of central AL, I experienced reverse racism. I (white) was refused service at a restaurant (everyone else was black) It may be a rare thing, but it happened to me. Thanks for serving!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS