Friday, December 18, 2009

What, in your opinion is the best place to live in Alaska and why?|187379

I_m thinking about heading to Alaska, where I_ve dreamed about and set goals to do for many, many years.
I just want to live a quiet sort of place, sort of secluded, that_s inexpensive and yet accessible to a larger city for those bi-monthly trips for necessitates.
I just want to get my book published and work on my photography. A small yet friendly town would be perfect.
I_m looking all over the internet sites on Alaska but would really love to hear from personal experiences.

  • I live in Palmer. I agree with Capt. Ron. We hardly have any want or need to go into Anchorage anymore. Come on up!

  • My wife grew up in AK and I_ve visited there several times. Anchorage is definitely our favorite city, but if you_re looking for something more remote I_d recommend Palmer or Wasilla. They_re both about 40 minutes from Anchorage via the Glenn Hwy, but still mostly rural. Wasilla has grown a lot over the last few years, though, and has a lot of _box_ stores. The housing still seems rustic, though, even if you are 2 miles from a Wal-Mart.

    I_m a big fan of the Anchorage area because it maintains a somewhat warmer climate due to the warm ocean air (_warmer_ by AK standards, it_s still COLD in February!). If you want something closer to Anchorage than Palmer or Wasilla, check out Eagle River. It_s a suburb of Anchorage with some really nice houses and only about 10 minutes from downtown.

    For more remote locations, like Nome or Barrow, just know that you_ll not be able to travel at all during the winter months - you_re stuck in the boonies until spring! It_s still a beautiful state, however, and I encourage you to pursue an extended stay there.

    Also, just a personal note, if you have a choice between driving there and flying there you should most definitely drive there if you have the time. The AK Hwy is 100% paved now, to my knowledge, and it_s the most beautiful drive in North America.

    Best wishes, hope this helped.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS