Friday, July 10, 2009

How are people on the West Coast and East Coast different from each other?|112272

I_ve never lived on the East Coast and only have visited but I was wondering from people who have lived on both coasts what is the difference between life on both coasts. I live in San Diego and there a ton of East Coast transplants, especially from the Boston/ New England area and New York/New Jersey area and I don_t notice anything different about them or how they act and present themselves. I_ve heard things like the West Coast is more laid back and casual, but what does that exactly mean? I heard East Coast people dress up more when they go out on, as opposed to the casual way people dress here; is that true? I_m just curious to what people who have lived on both coasts think are the main differences between the two in terms of people.

  • The reason you don_t notice any difference is because the people from the East coast that have gone to the West coast don_t fit in here, on the East coast.
    Just from experience and having friends that have moved here from California- we East coasters are snobs in general. _Oh, yes... let us go to the Cape for the weekend, dahling_
    East coasters are very money driven. Have to have the nicest car, the nicest house, and have to let everyone know about it. Connecticut is the worst! Heard of _keeping up with the Jones__- that is the East coast to a T.
    Ya wonder why I want California? I am down to earth, want enjoy life and not work myself into the grave. I want to be near the ocean- not a sound where all the crap from the ocean winds up.

  • East coast wants you to _conform_, use the old standards of society. I feel constantly on guard here, came from San Diego
    was there for 18 years, but originally from Buffalo. Never thought I_d be back here but _never say never_ is truth. West coast accepts you, East won_t unless you conform.

  • Having lived in 46 of the 50 states in the last 35 years, I can honestly say the only difference I noticed is the New England area has _older money_ than the west coast where you get _new _ money generating all the time with the movie studios. As for snobs, I grew up in Grosse Pointe and went to school with the grand children of the Fords and Chrysler_s that obviously came from old money. There are snobs in different pockets throughout this country. The west coast has more favourable climate then the east coast, however, more tenseness regarding the more severe catastrophic weather conditions that the west coast is subject to. Even though every state has its own weather element, depending on what season it is, I currently live in south Florida and prefer to live here than anywhere else because of the climate. Sure, we may have a hurricane once in awhile but at least we get fair warning and the climate is much better in the winter months than the west coast and the northeast that have a higher preciptiation level creating havoc winters. We dress casual when it calls for yet can dress fit to kill if we need to. A great place all around.

  • I don_t know about the Northern part, but in the Southeast, we do typically dress up a little bit more... ie you will typically see more tucked in shirts, etc. This is especially prevelant on Sundays.

    That is one side of the culture. The other side of the culture tends to dress very similarly to that of the typical thought of Southern Californians.

  • very different everywhere you go people are different eventually
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS