Saturday, May 24, 2008

What are the people like in San Diego? Is it easy to make friends?|133491

I am a 24 yr old male who is planning to move to San Diego within the next 2 - 4 months. I_ve heard many great things about the weather and the beaches, but what about the people? I_m a very social guy and I definitely want to build a new group of friends out in SD when I move there. I_ve heard murmers that meeting people is easy, but make friends is very difficult. What are your thoughts on that? What areas do people around my age live in? I_m looking for a nice beach, with young people around, and a good bar scene. Wherever that is - I want to live there! hahaha

Let me know what you think about the people in San Diego and what the best way to make new friends would be. How can I easily break into the social scene as an outsider from the Easy Coast? (Originally from North Jersey).

I appreciate your responses.

  • I say Pacific Beach is the place to move in the San Diego area. It_s not expensive and there are tons and tons of young people, as well as a wonderful beach. My husband and I,when we were dating, lived there and we made a ton of neighborhood friends. A ton! And the best part of Pacific Beach was that all the friends we had there were from other states on the East Coast and they needed friends, too. You_ll meet people at bars and at your apartment building, but probably mostly work, too. I liked two bars named _Lattitudes_ and _Cass Street_; we used to hang out there a lot and met plenty of friends there since the crowd was a bit older than college (your age-around 25) and a lot of people were regulars. We mostly met people in our apartment building and at work, that was fun! Just make sure to get a job first thing and then you can have people to go to happy hour with and everything. Even though we_re now married and moved inland to start our family, we still keep in contact with our old _party_ friends from Pacific Beach. You_ll have a blast. One of our friends came here from New Jersey knowing not a soul and met a ton of friends and girlfriends and says he_ll never leave. As far as your question of _breaking into the scene_ I say, just look casual (t-shirt, thongs and jeans) and make sure you are friendly and outgoing, and not a cheeseball when it comes to girls, then I think you_ll do fine. Good luck!!!

  • San Diego is much different than the east coast or even northern CA. It is much more laid back and friendly. Besides, the weather is great - a bit too cold right now.

    Making friends is up to you. If you go out and try, you will make friends. If you expect people are closed, they will be. If you like the bar scene, go for it. I made friends at church but that_s me. Take some classes, that_s a great way to meet people.

    I live in N. SD County and I really like it here.

  • San Diego is a very laid back city, so making new friends should not be a problem. The people are for the most part very friendly and sociable.

    Great bar scene in the Hillcrest neighborhood. I hang out at a bar called the Flame on the weekends and have a good time whenever I go.

  • If you_re looking for _straight_ friends, I would not recommend Hillcrest specifically...Although it is a nice enough neighborhood to live in. I would recommend Pacific Beach (PB) or Ocean Beach (OB) or Mission Beach. That_s where a LOT if the college kids live and there are tons of bars. I agree that it_s hard to make friends here, but if you_re social, like you say you are, then you_ll do ok. I assume you_ll get a job here....so you_ll meet people through there. Otherwise I would say you could take a class at a Jr College, something easy, like Tennis and meet people through that.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS