Saturday, January 19, 2008

Do you have a specific, favorite place or National park you love to visit?|182051

If so, why? I love the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore in northern, lower Michigan. The sanddunes and Lake Michigan and Glen Lake take my breath away every time I visit. What_s your favorite park?

  • Yosemite will blow you away. There is so much concentrated in one small valley that it will just blow you away. The Sequoias will leave you with a kink in your neck from looking up. Waterfalls everywhere. Spectacular hiking of all levels. WOW! Stay at the main lodge if you can manage it. At least check it out.

    Everglades is interesting but you_re better off viewing it from one of the commercial airboat rides on the park_s northern edges. Don_t stay in the park unless you love being total mosquito bait at night. The canoing is pretty good though.

  • I love West Virginia -- Pipestem. Very far away from everything. Gorgeous views, great hiking, nice golf.

  • It_s hard to decide, since I_ve been to over 20 national parks and national forests and national seashores...

    Out west, for wildlife viewing, plus geyers and waterfalls, it_d have to be Yellowstone National park, since I saw a bison, elk, a moose, and antelope while hiking...plus you can canoe, raft, bike, etc..Mt. Lassen National Park in CA is a close second as far as mountains, mud pools, and steam vents go.

    In the south, I love Cape Lookout Nat_l Seashore in North Carolina, since I_ve sailed and sea kayaked out to it, and that_s the only way you can get to it.. It_s composed of a number of isolated barrier islands with a lighthouse on it..pristine beaches..dolphin pods feeding..migrating birds..I actually stepped on a skate (similiar to a sting ray, without the barb) while walking to shore after swimmming from the sailboat to the beach (no I_m not rich, I was guiding a trip).

    In the southwest, I_d say my best trip was canoeing on the Green River through Canyonlands, since I saw mule deer, hiked to ruins, camped in total isolation on gorgeous ledges...though the Boundary Waters and Voyagers Nat_l Park in Minnesota had incredible amounts of wildlife..I watched a family of eagles from my campsite that were teaching their young how to fish..and I got barked at by otters after I accidently canoed too close to them..I didn_t enjoy the bear encounters tho...

    Recently I canoed for a week in the Okeefenokee Swamp in GA, and camped on platforms, and saw a lot of egret/ibis_s, an alligator and even a lynx who liked to hang out at the one island we camped on..

    Happy trails!

  • Yosemite...Spent a few days there for our honeymoon. It was the most amazing place I have ever seen. It will blow you away!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    >>>

     

    Home Posts RSS Comments RSS